The remaining hour to the refuge was a little more scenic and busier. At one point I got the feeling I wasn't alone, felt a surge of adrenaline, and then noticed there were three huge, horned cows beside the trail. The looked pretty docile, but they also looked like they would win in a fight. I crept past, ready to bolt at any moment, three pairs of eyes watchful of my every step-
The refuge, at 1500 metres, wasn`t as deluxe as the one in Bariloche. But there was a nice campground, clean water, a swell lookout, and decent pizza for dinner. I ate with two Scots and an Irish guy, we shared a few laughs into the evening, bellowing English into the small wooden room filled with Hispanics. That night the cows seemed to moo without cease, and at one point I opened my tent to see one run by, not 20 feet away.
There is of course a concern about getting ¨hiked-out¨ by the end of this trip. To that end, I was pleased with the two hour climb to the top as it was totally different than anything I had seen so far. I followed a broken T-bar of some sort at first, as the area functions for skiing during the summer. More cows. Then the trail flattened out onto a dry, wide pass between mountains, making me feel especially insignificant in the landscape but in a way that Braun (the camera) could not capture. The last bit was a steep scramble up fine, volcanic rock that shifted and sank with every tiring step.
From the top, when the clouds parted, you could see forever in all directions. Mountains lined up in neat rows, green valleys filled the space in between, and El Bolson just a little village going about its business smack in the middle of it all. The peak itself was just a few feet wide, and a deathly terrifying sheer drop down the front ensured that I kept to all fours. I assure you that in the wind and clouds, you would do the same.
The way down was uneventful, save for the kind Buenos Aires couple who gave me a drive down the long road back to my house. We enjoyed one of those classic broken-English conversations discussing their road trip vacation, their work (for Alcan) back in the city, and their two bombshell blonde daughters.

You are a brave soul. Had your family over for a St. Patrick's day dinner tonight. We all wore something green. Probably not the same green as your stomach problem..ha..ha. Sounds like you are truly experiencing an adventure. Kepp safe and never eat cold meats if not continually refrigerated!!If you can't get drugs, sipping a small glass of red wine slowy will help stomach problems..nut bot severe problems.
ReplyDeleteAdios muchacho..vaya con Dios!
Tia Millie
but bot severe problrms ...correction
ReplyDeletebut not severe problems Matt. I think the spelling came through OK this time
ReplyDeleteWell I could hardly refuse drinking another $2 bottle of wine Auntie....
ReplyDeletesounds like your tent is getting quite the workout.. ng
ReplyDeletei`ll sell it to you when i get home mikey...
ReplyDelete